Research Students

The School of Physics offers Masters by Research and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. These research degrees involve the student independently researching a specific topic under the guidance of a supervisor.

Enrolment and Re-enrolment

It is your responsibility to ensure that you are enrolled at the start of every semester and that your enrolment is correct. In order to ensure that your enrolment details are up to date:

  • Login to your student profile at myUNSW to view your enrolment details.
  • MSc and PhD students should be enrolled into the course PHYS9103 Research Thesis Physics F/T ( for full time students) or PHYS9113 Research Thesis Physics P/T (part time students)
  • You can also view your fee statement through myUNSW. Pay any fees owed - failure to do this will result in the cancellation of your enrolment

Progress Review

It is a condition of continual enrolment in the higher research degree that your performance is assessed by a progress review. Progress reviews provide an opportunity for you, your supervisor/s and your School to: take stock of how your project has gone over the past year (or 6 months if you are new); review all aspects of your candidature; and develop a plan of action for the next year.

The Postgraduate Coordinators are Dr Kim-Vy Tran and Dr Jan Hamann and they should be contacted in the first instance. The Graduate Research School provides advice and assistance to all higher degree research students at UNSW.